Effective Date: February 10, 2016
Welcome to Voter’s Edge.
We take your privacy seriously. We are a nonprofit project and will never sell your information to third parties. We are committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
What’s in This Policy
I. Information VE Collects
The following provides an overview of the information VE collects in the course of your use of our Site. VE only collects data for your use of this Site. VE will not share or sell your information with a third party.
a. What We Collect
Through your general use of our Site, VE may collect and/or receive the following information about you that reveals your specific identity, or is directly tied to your specific identity:
- Your zip code;
- Your physical address;
- Your name, state, email address, and any feedback left in the open response form (if you voluntarily provide this information by using the Feedback form on our site);
- Your voting selections that you elect on the Site;
- Your social media account ID and information shared with us via your social media account if you use the Facebook, Twitter and email sharing functions on the Site; and
- Your credit card or PayPal information for the purposes of processing payment if you make a donation to the Site, VE or MapLight.
- Information about you that VE gets from third party data providers. VE obtains this data with assurance from these providers that you have consented to the collecting and sharing of this data. VE does not actively collect sensitive public data such as medical data. In addition, we only collect information that is permissible to collect in each state where VE operates. VE also collects information that does not reveal your specific identity, or does not directly relate to you, such as:
- Browser and device information;
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies; and
- Demographic information and other non-identifying information provided by you (such as a zip code or general geographic area).
b. How VE Collects This Information
- User-provided information: When you visit the VE platform, you are asked to enter in your zip code and street address so that we can provide you with accurate information about the upcoming election and what candidates and initiatives will be on the ballot in your area. VE also uses this information to provide you with information regarding prior years’ elections.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a designator that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet service provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you use our platform and services, along with the time of your visit and the specific page(s) that you visited.
II. How VE May Use Your Information
Here are the ways that VE might use your information to run our platform, provide our services and serve you better content.
a. We use your information to provide you with accurate information regarding the elections in your geographic area.
b. We use your information for general business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new services, enhancing, improving, or modifying our Site, identifying usage trends, and operating and expanding our civic engagement and education activities.
c. We need information about your social media account and activities to facilitate social sharing functionality, such as sharing the VE Site with other Internet users.
d. We use information about your computer or device to ensure that our Site, apps, and APIs function properly and are optimized for your computer or device.
g. We use IP Addresses for administration and security purposes, such as calculating usage levels of our sites, apps and API and helping diagnose server problems.
h. We may use and share aggregated and anonymized information to better understand and serve our users or for optimization of our marketing efforts.
III. Who May Receive Your Information
This is how VE shares the information we collect through your use of the VE Site.
d. Administrative Purposes
VE may share your information with third parties for the following purposes:
i. VE suppliers, subcontractors and partners (“service providers”): VE may share information about you with our services providers who process information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with our service providers that prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or receive with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes.
ii. Fraud prevention: VE may disclose the personal information VE collects about its users when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, its users, or others.
iii. Law enforcement purposes: If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, VE may have to disclose any information VE has about our users. VE also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
IV. Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important to VE. For that reason, VE does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information or non-personally identifiable information from users under 13 years of age.
If VE learns that personally identifiable information of users under the age of 13 has been collected, VE will delete the child’s information.
V. Your Privacy Choices
a. Opting Out of Third Party Analytics Companies
To opt out of Google Analytics, please go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. These opt-outs may be provided through the use of specific tracking opt-out cookies. Please note that if you get a new computer, install a new browser, or erase or otherwise alter your browser’s cookie file (including upgrading certain browsers), this may also clear the opt-out cookie.
b. Accessing or Deleting Your Information
If you want, you can ask VE for the information we have about you and even ask us to delete it.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for mandatory record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, but such residual information will no longer be tied to your identity.
VI. Data Retention & Security
VII. Your California Privacy Rights
Since 2005, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not share user’s personal information with unaffiliated third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
VIII. How to Contact Us
The best way to get in touch with our Privacy Officer is to email us. We’d love to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. If you have any suggestions for us, feel free to let us know by writing to the following address:
Gagnier Margossian LLP
224 Townsend Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Please note that email communications are not always secure. Please do not include sensitive information in your emails to VE.