About Voter’s Edge New York
Welcome to Voter’s Edge New York
Voter’s Edge New York is a comprehensive, nonpartisan online guide to federal, state, and local elections in the state of New York. Voter’s Edge New York is a project of MapLight.
With Voter’s Edge New York, voters can:
- Access their full, personalized ballot by entering their address.
- Get in-depth information on candidates, measures, and who supports them.
- See candidate biographies, top priorities, photos, policy videos, endorsements, and detailed information about who funds their campaigns.
- Read neutral summaries of ballot measures, see the latest news on the measures, and find out who supports and opposes them.
- Check where, when, and how to vote, including information on their local polling locations.
- Keep track of their choices to make voting easier.
- Share information about the election with friends and family.
History of Voter’s Edge
MapLight’s Voter’s Edge tool was first designed to help expose the funders behind ballot measures in California. In recent years the project has expanded to cover candidates and elections in states beyond California. Voter’s Edge is currently covering federal, state, and local elections in California, Illinois, and New York.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money’s influence on politics. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
We provide journalists and citizens with transparency tools that connect data on campaign contributions, politicians, legislative votes, industries, companies, and more to show patterns of influence never before possible to see. These tools allow users to gain unique insights into how campaign contributions affect policy, so they can draw their own conclusions about how money influences our political system.
Visit us to learn more about MapLight and our work.
Voter’s Edge has an advisory board for each state it covers, as well as a Spanish language advisory board. Voter’s Edge advisory board members are dedicated leaders who share a commitment to civic engagement, nonpartisan voter information, and good government. They represent a variety of political affiliations and hold expertise in different areas, but all are invested in addressing the challenges faced by voters in their state. At the national level, Voter’s Edge is guided by input from MapLight’s board and advisory board.
Voter’s Edge New York Advisory Board
MapLight is still seeking members for its Voter’s Edge New York advisory board. Members will advise MapLight on various aspects of Voter’s Edge, including editorial policy, potential partnerships, and effective distribution strategies.
Spanish Language Advisory Board
Members of the Voter’s Edge Spanish Language advisory board advise MapLight on various aspects of translating and presenting Voter’s Edge in Spanish, as well as distribution strategies to Spanish-language users. Members include:
- Mony Flores-Bauer, Consultant, Progressive Consultants Network
- Lisa Garcia Bedolla, Chancellor's Professor, Education and Political Science, U.C. Berkeley
- German Macias, California Program Coordinator, NALEO Education Fund
- Astrid Garcia Ochoa, Deputy Director, Future of California Elections
- Gino Squadrito, Art Director, LaserCom
Voter’s Edge New York is funded by individuals and foundations who support our work providing voters with a one-stop source of unbiased, nonpartisan information to help them make choices that best align with their particular values and interests.
We are deeply grateful to the following foundations and individuals whose contributions make Voter’s Edge New York possible:
- Rita Allen Foundation (national Voter’s Edge project)
- Matt and Cindy Cutts (national Voter’s Edge project)
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation (national Voter’s Edge project)
- The Kaphan Foundation (national Voter’s Edge project)
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation (national Voter’s Edge project)
- Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund (national Voter’s Edge project)
Meet the Voter’s Edge New York Team
The Voter’s Edge New York project utilizes the passion and talents of the entire MapLight team in various capacities. At the center of this organization-wide effort, the Voter’s Edge team works to provide this tool to voters - let’s meet the team!
Voting Information Director: Michael Canning
Technical Director: Leon Smith
Software Engineer & Database Administrator: Mike Krejci
Lead Designer & Front-End Engineer: Chacha Sikes
Program Associates: Elliott Day & Isaac Agree
Researcher: Joanna Nix
Program Assistant: Chelsea Miller
Software Engineer: Shane Dosch
MapLight President & Co-Founder: Daniel Newman
Learn more about the Voter’s Edge team and the rest of the MapLight crew!