About Voter’s Edge
Welcome to Voter’s Edge
With Voter’s Edge, voters can:
- Access their full, personalized ballot by entering their address.
- Get in-depth information on candidates, measures, and who supports them.
- See candidate biographies, top priorities, photos, policy videos, endorsements, and detailed information about who funds their campaigns.
- Read neutral summaries of ballot measures, see the latest news on the measures, and find out who supports and opposes them.
- Check where, when, and how to vote, including information on their local polling locations.
- Keep track of their choices to make voting easier.
- Share information about the election with friends and family.
History of Voter’s Edge
MapLight’s Voter’s Edge tool was first designed to help expose the funders behind ballot measures in California. In recent years the project has expanded to cover candidates and elections in states beyond California. Voter’s Edge is currently covering federal, state, and local elections in California, Illinois, and New York.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money’s influence on politics. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
We provide journalists and citizens with transparency tools that connect data on campaign contributions, politicians, legislative votes, industries, companies, and more to show patterns of influence never before possible to see. These tools allow users to gain unique insights into how campaign contributions affect policy, so they can draw their own conclusions about how money influences our political system.
Visit us to learn more about MapLight and our work.
Voter’s Edge has an advisory board for each state it covers, as well as a Spanish language advisory board. Voter’s Edge advisory board members are dedicated leaders who share a commitment to civic engagement, nonpartisan voter information, and good government. They represent a variety of political affiliations and hold expertise in different areas, but all are invested in addressing the challenges faced by voters in their state. At the national level, Voter’s Edge is guided by input from MapLight’s board and advisory board.
Spanish Language Advisory Board
Members of the Voter’s Edge Spanish Language advisory board advise MapLight on various aspects of translating and presenting Voter’s Edge in Spanish, as well as distribution strategies to Spanish-language users. Members include:
- Mony Flores-Bauer, Consultant, Progressive Consultants Network
- Lisa Garcia Bedolla, Chancellor's Professor, Education and Political Science, U.C. Berkeley
- German Macias, California Program Coordinator, NALEO Education Fund
- Astrid Garcia Ochoa, Deputy Director, Future of California Elections
- Gino Squadrito, Art Director, LaserCom
Voter’s Edge is funded by individuals and foundations who support our work providing voters with a one-stop source of unbiased, nonpartisan information to help them make choices that best align with their particular values and interests.
We are deeply grateful to the following foundations and individuals whose contributions make Voter’s Edge possible:
- Alameda County: Registrar of Voters (Voter’s Edge California)
- Rita Allen Foundation
- Bright Horizon Fund (Voter’s Edge California)
- Matt and Cindy Cutts
- Bonnie and Earl Hamlin (Voter’s Edge California)
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- The James Irvine Foundation (Voter’s Edge California)
- Joyce Foundation (Voter’s Edge Illinois)
- The Kaphan Foundation
- Ellen Kitamura (Voter’s Edge California)
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- League of Women Voters of Eden Area (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Los Altos/Mountain View Area (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Los Angeles (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Marin County (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Oakland (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Palo Alto (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Sacramento County (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of San Jose/Santa Clara (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Santa Barbara (Voter’s Edge California)
- League of Women Voters of Southwest Santa Clara Valley (Voter’s Edge California)
- McCormick Foundation (Voter’s Edge Illinois)
- The Honorable Becky Morgan (Voter’s Edge California)
- Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund
- The Pick One Fund (Voter’s Edge California)
- San Mateo County: Office of Assessor-Clerk-Recorder (Voter’s Edge California)
- Santa Clara County: Registrar of Voters (Voter’s Edge California)
- Tides Civic Innovation Fund (Voter’s Edge California)
- Orlin and Onnolee Trapp (Voter’s Edge California)
- Kathleen Weisenberg (Voter’s Edge California)
- Anonymous (Voter’s Edge California)
Meet the Voter’s Edge Team
The Voter’s Edge project utilizes the passion and talents of the entire MapLight team in various capacities. At the center of this organization-wide effort, the Voter’s Edge team works to provide this tool to voters - let’s meet the team!
Voting Information Director: Michael Canning
Technical Director: Leon Smith
Software Engineer & Database Administrator: Mike Krejci
Lead Designer & Front-End Engineer: Chacha Sikes
Program Associates: Elliott Day & Isaac Agree
Researcher: Joanna Nix
Program Assistant: Chelsea Miller
Software Engineer: Shane Dosch
MapLight President & Co-Founder: Daniel Newman
Learn more about the Voter’s Edge team and the rest of the MapLight crew!