Board of Trustees, Trustee Area 3 —Pasadena Unified School DistrictMarch 7, 2017 —Local Elections
Pasadena Unified School DistrictBoard of Trustees, Trustee Area 3
Share This Page
About this office
- Ensuring quality and equitable education in our k-12 schools.
- Prioritizing the classroom, ensuring that adequate resources are provided to our most neediest students.
- Representing the missing minority perspective for the under representation of our diverse community.
I began serving the community as a volunteer at the age of 17 in the following capacities: YWCA Camp Counselor, San Gabriel Valley Fair Housing Council, Human Relations Commission, (advisor to the youth component of the commission), Northwest Commission (mayor appointee), Rose Bowl Local Hiring Advisory Committee, Heritage Square Senior Housing Project (N. Fair Oaks & Orange Grove) – Committee to Select the Developer, Architect and on the Design Review Sub Committee, Robinson Park – Phase II Steering Committee Vice Chair and on the Committee to select the Architect, Board/Committee member of several non-profits advocating for youth and young adults, Graduate of the Citizen’s Police Academy, Leadership Pasadena Class of 2017, Church Sunday School Teacher (secondary), Media Team, Choir, Trustee, Church Parliamentarian and Executive Board Member.
- United Teachers Pasadena
- California Schools Employees Association, Pasadena Chapter #434
- Anthony Portantino, California State Senator
- Tyron Hampton, Councilmember, City of Pasadena
- National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC)
- Pasadena Star News
- Arroyo Democratic Club
- Renatta Cooper, Board Member, Pacific Oaks College and Children's School
- Ishmael Trone, Chair, Pasadena Chamber of Commerce
- Jacque Robinson-Baisley, Vice Mayor/City Councilmember (Retired)
- Dr. Jacqueline Jacobs, PUSD Personnel Commissioner
- Dr. Eddie Newman, PUSD Personnel Commissioner
- Pastor George Van Alstine, Former PUSD School Board Member
- Tommy McMullins, Former PUSD School Board Member
Top Three Priorities
Brief Bio, Why I am Running and Top Three Priorities.
A life long resident of Pasadena, I am a product of PUSD and so are my children. It is my desire to utilize my knowledge, experience and skills as a member of the PUSD Governing Board in part, to ensure equity and to ensure that the classroom is considered a major priority in our district. I am a forward thinker who puts children first. I bring vision, fresh energy and a deep connection to this community.
PUSD has a diverse student population. I believe the diversity of the school district should be reflected in the governing board, currently it is not; my presence would add that missing minority perspective for the under representation of our diverse community. Having been a student, a parent and a 14-year employee of the district, I bring a well-rounded perspective that includes a comprehensive knowledge of the internal complexities of the district and how to navigate through them to get results. My presence would also bring renewed vision and fresh energy. My priorities are putting students first by ensuring equity and access; addressing the literacy gap by focusing the necessary resources to our neediest students; professional development training for faculty and staff and engaging the community to assist PUSD with addressing declining enrollment including but not limited to workforce housing. Two of the most significant issues facing PUSD are Serving the diverse needs of all students and connecting with the parents of our most needy students. A strategy needs to be developed that will involve community members, organizations, business and the faith based community in an effort to begin approaching these issues.
Through the years at PUSD I have served on various PUSD committees: Equity and Access Committee, Current Member, Branding Advisory Committee, School Site Council, Current Member, PTSA, Current Member, LCAP Work Group and the AB86 sub-committee (in support of adult education), laying the groundwork for the school to community college pipeline.