City Council, District 1 —City of Los AngelesMarch 7, 2017 —Local Elections
City of Los AngelesCity Council, District 1
Share This Page
About this office
- Safe Streets - safe to cross, safe to walk or ride a bike, safe to use at all hours by all people
- Strong Neighborhoods - connected neighborhoods, self reliance and autonomy, support for small enterprise and productive growth
- Accountability to renters, small business, and small property owners NOT millionaire developers and coporate interests
Joe has been on the forefront advocating for safe streets for over a decade in North East Los Angeles; most recently with the ‘Figueroa For All’ campaign to bring pedestrian and bicycle safety improvements to the North Figueroa corridor.
For nearly a decade, Joe has owned and operated the Flying Pigeon LA bicycle shop on North Figueroa. Joe has kept his doors open through tough economic times. By hosting events and meetings, he has turned his shop into a community space in a neighborhood that needs more of it.
Joe has experience in local government as a deputy to Assemblymember Rudy Bermudez (D-56) and in land use policy as a project manager for a small design-build firm, constructing housing in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley.
- Los Angeles League of Conservation Voters
- Harvey Slater, President, Historic Highland Park Neighborhood Council
I am fighting to build a council office dedicated to Safe Streets and Strong Neighborhoods in my attempt to rehumanize Los Angeles. Specifically as Councilman I will prioritize expanding multi-modal transportation options, and providing safe routes for our youth and seniors. I will encourage responsible development on current vacant lots and protect our open spaces from inappropriate development. Finally, I am committed to raising the quality of life for all residents in Council District 1 by increasing public access to parks and fighting polluters who damage our natural environments and create public health issues in our neighborhoods. These efforts all together will provide for safer streets and stronger neighborhoods.
- To fight for rent control and a moratorium on evictions to mitigate any further displacement taking place in our communities.
- Champion inclusive and balanced housing developments for all incomes.
- Invest more of our city budget in youth/capacity building programs.
Born and raised in the Pico Union community, Giovany is the son of Salvadoran immigrants who came to Los Angeles in the early 1980’s. His parent have operated a family owned business in the Pico Union community for almost 30 years, where he spent his childhood working until he left to college. Giovany is a first generation college graduate; he attended U.C. Santa Cruz, where he studied Political Science. Giovany has always been involved in community work at every stage of his life. After graduating from college, Giovany worked and served his community working as a children’s social worker, a labor organizer, educational advocate, and currently as a parent organizer to improve our public education for all children everywhere. Giovany is running for City Council because he believes it is imperative that the community has a genuine representative in City Hall that has a real world perspective of the beauty, diversity, challenges and potential of our community. Giovany is very honored for the opportunity to prove that young adults want and can make a real difference in our communities.