City Council —City of San DimasMarch 7, 2017 —Local Elections
City of San DimasCity Council
Share This Page
About this office
- Conservative Fiscal Policy: Financial stability, no deficit spending, a balanced budget with substantial reserves. No new Taxes!
- Environment: We must protect our environment. The northern foothills should be preserverd from over-development and kept as open space.
- Public Safety: It is the City's responsibility to keep our community safe. We are lucky to have our own Sheriff's stations. I have been endorsed by the Association of Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs.
My wife and I moved to San Dimas in 1975, where we purchased our first home. I grew up in Alhambra and met my wife at Alhambra High School.
I attended California State University at Los Angeles where I received a BA in Government, and a Master’s degree in Political Science and US History. I received a Counseling Credential from UCLA. I taught Government and U.S. History, and then became a High School Counselor. I ended my Education career as a Counselor at Garfield High School in East Los Angeles.
Diana and I got married when we both graduated from College. She became a Social Worker for the Department of Adoptions, and then worked with the Developmentally Disabled citizens at the Regional Center. She presently is a volunteer and is on the Board of Directors for the La Verne/San Dimas Meals on Wheels.
I first got involved in San Dimas when Los Angeles County was attempting to commercially develop Bonelli Park, which is totally within San Dimas. They wanted to build a 10,000 seat amphitheater, a Hotel, and much more in the park. I formed a group called the Coalition to Preserve Bonelli Park, and fought the project with the County, and won!
I’m the City Council’s representative to our Senior Commission and have worked hard to maintain our superior programs. We also have outstanding programs for our youth. The City’s financial position is also extremely important, and I along with the rest of the Council and City Manager have worked hard to keep the City in excellent financial shape.
My strong support for public safety and law enforcement have earned me the endorsements of the Association of Los Angeles Deputy Sheriff’s Association (ALADS), and the Los Angeles County Fire Fighters Local 1014.
My work to preserve Open Space and protect the environment in San Dimas has brought several awards: The “Conservation Award” twice from the Sierra Club, and the “Champion Award” from the “San Gabriel Mountains Forever” organization.
I’m active in San Dimas in many ways: Besides being on the City Council, I am also on the Board of the Festival of Arts, and the Board of Directors for the San Dimas Chamber of Commerce. I am also a Volunteer for the La Verne/San Dimas Meals on Wheels.
To learn more about me, go on line to my website: www.denisbertone.com
Contact me: DDBertone@aol.com or phone me at (909) 599-7431.
- Curt Morris, Mayor of San Dimas
- John Ebiner, San Dimas Councilmember
- Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs
- L.A. County Fire Fighters Local 1014
- Alta Skinner, Civic Leader
- To make our neighborhoods safe.
- Create a pro-business atmosphere and attract new businesses.
- Enhance transparency and the ability for residents to hold their government accountable.
Ryan grew-up in San Dimas – having moved here with his parents when he was one – and attended local schools, making honor roll in high school before graduating. He went on to earn three Associates Degrees from Citrus College, a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of La Verne, and a Master’s Degree from the University of Southern California.
Growing up, Ryan watched his parents work hard as small business owners to provide the best life they could for him and his siblings. At a very young age, Ryan discovered a calling to fight for what is right, combat wrongdoing, and defend those who could not defend themselves. Ryan decided to make this calling his career by becoming a Deputy Sheriff for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2005. He joined a “Tradition of Service” and achieved the rank of Sergeant after 6 years on the Department. He is currently assigned to the Audit & Accountability Bureau as well as the Department’s Crisis Negotiations Team. His experience includes assignments in custody, patrol, administrative, and specialized units.
After watching crime increase across California, and in San Dimas, Ryan asked to be appointed to the city’s Public Safety Commission. It was because of his strong background in public safety, exemplary work ethic, and can-do attitude that the city council unanimously approved his appointment. Since joining the Public Safety Commission in 2015 Ryan has, with the help of his colleagues, brought Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training to San Dimas which taught over 60 citizens, so far, in the community to prepare for a natural or man-made disaster. After earning the trust of his colleagues on the commission, Ryan was recently appointed to Vice-Chair.
Ryan recently married his best friend, Dr. Nicole Vienna, and they both reside in San Dimas. Ryan and Nicole have a small business in San Dimas, Vienna Psychological Group, Inc., where their collective vision is to change the landscape of mental health service delivery improving quality of life and promoting safer communities. They both enjoy running, scuba diving, collecting challenge coins, traveling, spending time with family, and participating in a friendly rivalry between Ryan’s USC Trojans and Nicole’s Arizona Wildcats.
Ryan is a member of the following professional associations:
- Professional Peace Officers Association (PPOA)
- Association of Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs (ALADS)
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
- California Association of Hostage Negotiators (CAHN)
- International Law Enforcement Auditor Association (ILEAA)
- Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
- Ruben Valencia - A member of Ontario City Council
- California Reserve Peace Officers Association
- Fraternal Order of Police
- Los Angeles County Firefighters Local 1014
- Los Angeles County Professional Peace Officers Association (PPOA)
My parents came to San Dimas in 1984 looking for a quiet and safe community to raise their family – this has been home ever since. My parents instilled in me the idea that my goals were attainable through hard work, honesty, and serving others. It is for those reasons I decided to serve our community by joining the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and am currently a Sergeant.
With violent crime up 5.2% across Los Angeles County and a noticeable increase in property crimes here in San Dimas, it has never been more important that we elect leaders who know what it takes to keep our community safe – that’s why the Professional Peace Officers Association representing over 8,700 law enforcement officers across Los Angeles County is supporting my campaign. Also, as a small business owner in San Dimas, I understand the importance of inviting the right businesses to join our community. Finally, I’ll fight to enhance transparency so you can, more easily, hold your city’s government accountable and make it run more efficiently.
I’m running for City Council so that I may continue to serve and fight for others to achieve the American dream. I ask you for your vote and support.
- Public Safety
- Business Revitalization
- Youth and Senior Citizen Programs
- Public safety is a key priority. I plan to address the rising crime rate in the city by partnering the community, Sheriff's Department and Probation Department in addressing the issues caused by the release of state inmates under AB109 and Prop 47.
- Emergency Management is a critical area that needs improving. I plan to improve the city Emergency Action Plan, obtain funding for a Mobile Command Post and create the position of Public Safety/Emergency Management Director
- Partner with the school district and local Sheriff's station in order to get Traffic Safety Grants to fund safety programs for bicycle, pedestrian and skateboarding to keep youths safe.
- Jesus Sandoval - Fontana City Councilman
- Irma Espinoza, Security Business Owner
- Edward Ramirez, District Attorney Investigator, retired