County Central Committee, Assembly District 24 —Santa Clara County Democratic PartyJune 7, 2016 —California Primary Election
Santa Clara County Democratic PartyCounty Central Committee, Assembly District 24
Share This Page
About this office
- My top priority is electing Democrats to local, state, and national offices starting with the Presidency of the USA.
- My second priority is expanding the franchise by helping to organize a North SCCounty Voter Registration Drive which I have carried out since 2000.
- My third priority is to strengthen and to expand our local Democratic Headquarters here in North Santa Clara County---the Democratic Volunteer Center.
I have been an active member of the Democratic Party my entire adult life for the values of the Demcratic Party describe my personal beliefs. Since 2000 I have been a member of the Santa Clara County Democratic Party Central Committee and every year a delegate to the State Democratic Party Convention. In 2012, I was honored by receiving the CA Democratic Party Volunteer of the Year Award (Region 5). From 2008 - 2015 I served as a member of the Executive Board of the SCC Democratic Party and Director of the 23 Clubs of Santa Clara County. In addition, I have served as President of the Peninsula Democratic Coalition (PDC) 2011 - 2013 and a member of the Executive Board of the PDC since the year 2001.
Shortly after my retirement from the Palo Alto Unified School District in 2005, I received the Sally Siegel Lifetime Achievement Award in Education from the Palo Alto Unified School District. In my 34 years in education, I served both as a teacher and as an administrator.
I am a Progressive Democrat who works hard to promote our democracy by standing up for expanding the franchise and for promoting transparency in our democracy. Getting "dark" money out of politics is one of my highest priorities for protecting our democracy. In addition, I am concerned about the wellbeing of the next generation. To that end I am very supportive of fighting climate change and the threat it poses for human and ecosystem survival. Tied to my lifelong advocacy for children, I am a passionate supporter of ediucation including the promotion of a universal, high quality early childhood education for all of America's children.
- Jobs - My top priority is to support the creation and availability of a wide variety of jobs, from high tech and biotech to construction and service, including the progressive agenda of equal pay for equal work.
- Housing – My second priority is to support housing, at both middle class and affordable levels, and associated enhancements to public transportation and infrastructure, so everyone can live in our beautiful area, while balancing the desire for a subu
- Democrats – My third priority is to continue to strengthen our local, State, and National Democratic Party so we have sufficient allies to ensure support of jobs, housing, education, and more can be accomplished.
I grew up in the suburbs of New York, in an area with a similar feel to Silicon Valley but way worse weather. My parents instilled a passion for making the world a better place which continues to be a core value. I attended Carnegie-Mellon University and, after graduation, became a software engineer, development manager, and software architect. I represented the USA around the world in technical standards committees for computers and telephony where I was one of the first women to take on this role. I now work as a management consultant, helping clients achieve high performing groups with significant business value, primarily in eCommerce. I have a passion for travel and visited many countries around the world. I volunteer with homeless youth, at StandUp for Kids, where we provide mentoring, food, clothing, and other services. I love to hike and enjoy the wonderful CA weather and active lifestyle.
- Work to create inclusive well financed Democratic Party in Santa Clara Party
- Expand the party's monthly donor subscription program
- Expand our voter registration program and reach out to under represented minorities
- Ensure the Santa Clara County Democratic Party has the people, organization, funding, and other resources it needs to be effective
- Recruit and elect progressive Democrats at all levels of office, in both partisan and non-partisan races
- Support an active, progressive policy agenda to address pressing social needs, such as income inequality, homelessness, affordable housing, and access to healthcare
I grew up in Detroit and attend the United States Naval Academy. I served in the Navy as a Surface Warfare Officer, including an extended tour of duty on ship based in Yokosuka, Japan. After leaving the Navy, I attended Stanford Law School. I worked as an intellectual property litigation attorney for a number of years prior to taking a year off to live in Mexico City as a Fulbright Scholar. I'm proficient in Spanish. In the years following our return to the Bay Area, my wife and I adopted three children. I've been active as an AYSO soccer coach and in raising money for our school PTA.
What would you do to increase the number of registered voters?
The Party recruits and sends volunteers to famers markets, festivals, and other events. More importantly, however, we should continue to ensure that Government works for all people, including young people and recent immigrants eligible to become citizens, so that they will feel its worth it to participate in the democratic process. Refinements adopted in recent years to improve the "motor-voter" rules and procedures, which enable citizens to register when the apply for their drivers license, etc., have been very helpful. We also should keep a close eye on jurisdictions that are experimenting with allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote, in the hope they will develop the habit of voting prior to leaving high school.
How would you work to promote your party with the electorate?
I believe our Democratic Party has been so successful in Santa Clara County and throughout California because we have recruited and elected highly talented individuals who have been effective in making our Government work for the people. We should continue to elect good Democrats, and to promote a progressive policy agenda at all levels of Government.
Why did you become a member of this political party?
I am a progressive Democrat. I believe the Democratic Party should speak for working people and the underprivileged, and should work to ensure a fair society in which everyone's basic needs are met. Government should create the conditions to allow all who work hard to succeed. Our Government should ensure that all have basic access to healthcare and education. Young people shouldn't have to sign up for a lifetime of debt to be able to attend college. The rights of women to choose whether to carry a pregnancy to term, and to make other decision about reproductive health, must be guaranteed and protected. No American should live in fear of their lives or safety due to violence, crime, unregulated access to guns, discrimination, racism, sexism, or hate.
- Keep Trump Away from the White House: Win back the House and Senate
- Equality, Economic and Social Justice for All
- Environment - Promote sustainable practices to fight Climate Change